Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Castanyada (aka Halloween)

Halloween is celebrated a lot differently in Spain than in the States. There is no trick-or-treating and no one dresses up (except for maybe the big cities). I was a little sad not to dress up, but I made up for it by still going to a party. That afternoon I carved pumpkin with the youngest daughter. It was lots of fun because that was her first pumpkin carving. Her reaction to taking out the insides was, "ewww, gross!" It is popular for people here to get together with friends and roast Castanyes, which are a type of nut and not too bad. Days before people were selling these all over town. A popular dessert is Panallets which is a cookie made with almonds and potatoes. It sounds gross, but it is actually really good. That night I went to a party in a farm house with my friend, Ari, from Barcelona. The house wasn't that far away, but we had to take this country road for about 10 min. It was extremely dark because there are no lights and there were lots of curves. It was a pretty scary drive and I would not want to do it by myself. I was able to meet all of Ari's friends and they all were super friendly...even though they all spoke Catalan/Spanish (only Ari speaks English). I tried to talk to them with my high school spanish, but it's been years since I have really used it and it didn't quite work out. Therefore, Ari was my translator for the night. After a few drinks, though, it helped with our communication with each other. We had a big dinner first and later we weredrinking and dancing. One of the guys at the party is a DJ and brough his equipment with him. Around 3am we went to a little disco in town. The bad thing is that smoking is allowed inside so my clothes and hair reaked of smoke by the end of the night so that was pretty disgusting. I am so happy to have met Ari and her friends. They all made me feel part of the group. I'm sad that I am leaving so soon after meeting them...if only I met them months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment